If you are thinking of purchasing a modern wood burning fireplace, you are in the right place. We’re laying out the details of some of the best wood burning fireplaces, and while some may prefer electric and gas fireplaces, these are some of the products that set wood fireplaces above the rest!
Whether you have a fireplace insert, open hearth, pellet stove or wood stove, none of these can produce a comforting warmth like a wood fireplace can. As the winter days get long and the bitter cold creeps into your house, the other options simply cave; however, as we’ll outline a wooden fireplace can stand up to the cold!
There are many things to take into consideration when deciding to purchase a wooden fireplace, including, first and foremost, the size of the fireplace you’re opting to buy. It also does well to consider your home size to go with a fireplace that will fit the environment just right. For instance, a smaller fireplace may not have the same traditional heat output as a larger one, but should you find yourself needing to heat a smaller room the demands offset.
Top 5 Best Modern wood burning fireplace Reviews
Few things compare to a warm, cozy home during the brutal winter months, thus investing in a nice wooden fireplace is hardly a debate. However, there are a few things to consider before making the purchase, and our review is here to walk you through them!
1. Real Flame Chateau Ventless Gel Fireplace
Adding the Gel fireplace to your home could add that extra indoor warmth you’re craving this winter. The Chateau wood Fireplace comes in a clean, classic design perfect for either vintage or contemporary home décor while providing an authentic real flame. This item is available in various colors for those who prefer to make a selection.
- The Chateau is manufactured from durable materials – this includes solid wood and Veneered MDF.
- Comes equipped with powder coated steel that prevents it from rusting.
- Usable with 13oz real flame gel fuel (not included).
- Requires assembling of some parts, such as the firebox, Mantel, screen kit, and painted concrete log before use.
- 40.9 inches wide and weighs in at 67.6 lbs.
- Real flame gel fuel releases up to 9,000 BTU of warmth for every 1 hour for up to 3 hours of use.
The Chateau Gel fireplace is a quality piece of furniture also ideal for use in traditionally cold and damp places like basements!
2. Pleasant Hearth 2,200 Square Feet
From Pleasant Hearth comes another fireplace ideal for heating rooms up to 2,200 square feet! Need something to keep your warm nice and toasty through those cold winter nights? Look no further as this fireplace can ideally burn up to 8-10 hours nonstop! Its blower system provides a blowing assist to ensure your fire doesn’t go out unexpectedly leaving you cold and frustrated.
- This wood burner fireplace is ideal for larger homes.
- Free-standing and wood burning (i.e., a fireplace with legs)
- Equipped with a variable blower system to keep the fire burning.
- Non-catalytic wood burning device.
- Comes with a sliding draft control above the door.
- Brick lined firebox.
- EPA certified.
- Air wash system
- Comfortably fits 20 inch long logs.
- Decorative ceramic glass window.
- Connects well to a 6-inch chimney.
Ideally, you don’t want to rush off and purchase just any fireplace without first reading the reviews, and the reviews for the Pleasant Hearth fireplace scream in its favor. In addition to the previously mentioned features, you should also note that The Pleasant Hearth fireplace wood burner comes with a free front loading cast iron door, chrome spring handles for easy loading and a handy five-year warranty.
3. Pleasant Hearth WS-2417 1200 sq. ft.
Not everyone needs a 2,200 square foot fireplace like the one previously mentioned, but thankfully Pleasant Hearth still has you covered with great options like this WS-2417 model. This stove is ideal for a 1,200 square foot room, ideal for single, smaller households. Should you find yourself in need of a bit more firepower, don’t hesitate to review the notes on some of the models above. However, if you need something compact, yet effective keep reading below!
- Designed to heat 1,200 sq. ft. coverage space.
- Front loading wood system.
- Front door made of cast iron with chrome handles.
- Comes with a ceramic viewable glass area.
- Equipped with standing legs.
- 81% Efficiency
- Brick lined firebox.
- Five-year product warranty.
- EPA Certified.
Also of note, when you purchase this wood fireplace, it will be shipped along aside a DVD instructional guide to assist in set up and operation. This model of Pleasant fireplace is also ideal for use with a blower which is, unfortunately, sold separately. If you require a unit that comes with a blower included, then you may want to consider the Pleasant Hearth model above.
4. Vogelzang TR001 Defender EPA Wood Stove
If you need a reliable heater to get you through those cold, bitter months in warm and comfort, look no further than the power horse of a system provided by theVogelzang TR001 Defender EPA Wood Stove. The TR001 Defender has a very impressive arsenal of distinctive features that makes it an outstanding unit in a market of fierce competitors when it comes to getting an indoor space heated. This TR001 Vogelzang is an ideal fireplace for those of you living off the grid in smaller homes of up to 1,200 square feet. It has a reputation for performing exceptionally well, especially given the fact that it comes with a blower that efficiently circulates heat to every corner of your house.
- Adjustable legs allow for adjustable height.
- Designed for small home use up to about 1,200 sq. ft.
- This wood burner produces up to 68,000 BTUs worth of heating capacity.
- Decorative front door with stylish handle.
- Ceramic glass window.
- Comfortably holds 17-inch logs.
- Optional blower to disperse warmth.
- 16-Inch reinforced steel plate with firebrick lining
- EPA certified.
- Dimensions: 23.5 width x 21 length x 28 height.
- Made from cast iron.
We particularly favor this stove because it is easy to use, and, even though the firebox is small, it works impressively well with a surprisingly stout heat output. This stove is also easily installed in just a few steps, and in no time you’ll be ready to have your house cozy and warm.
5. Hi-Flame FF-905 Shetland Wood Stove
These reviews are designed with you in mind and your ability to make an informed decision on the best fireplace for your home. With the list of items discussed in mind so far, you’ll find the Hi-Flame FF-905 to be the smallest unit, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a workhorse capable of outstanding performance. Whether you live in a tight-fitting apartment or a small house, you’ll find this fireplace by Hi-flame can keep your space quite warm. The Shetland Wood Stove is specifically designed for an area of 800 sq. feet comes with less hassle than its competitors and is convenient for use in supplying tertiary heated air.
- Small size cast iron wood fire stove.
- Ideal for coverage up to 800 sq. ft.
- Clean burning, pre-heated tertiary air; with rear flue or top outlet.
- 21,000 BTU heating capacity per hour.
- Holds 12-inch logs for a 6-inch blue flame.
While this might not be the ideal piece for larger areas, the FF-905 is still quite effective in getting appropriate indoor spaces well heated. If you’re curious about further user reviews and opinions, click the link below!
Types of Wood Fireplaces
There are two types of wood fireplaces. The EPA Certified wood fireplace and the Masonry wood fireplace. Confused as to which route to go? The decision often comes down to individual preferences and needs; however, the gist of their differences is listed below.
The EPA Certified Wood Fireplace: This type of fireplace is usually built in a home with surrounding brick or stones, and usually calls for installing a hearth foundation or using a mantel. It has a firebox and a venting system where the heat escapes from the fireplace into your home. This wood fireplace type features advanced design, including combustion technology making it one of the best types of wood burning fireplaces on the market. Some of its kind can emit heat up to sixteen hours on just a single loading of good wood, and generally releasing fewer pollutants. Since they usually burn the wood in its entirety, there is minimal ash to clean.
Masonry built wood fireplace – Masonry fireplaces are constructed inside the home and later covered with a fire insert. This fireplace type is usually quite efficient and is designed with an open combustion system, providing up to 300 cubic ft. of warm air to your home and, unfortunately, a small amount of pollutants. However, the good news is you can improve a masonry-built fireplace by using a fireplace insert.