To humidify a whole house, you need a whole-house humidifier system. Unlike portable humidifiers that are used for single rooms, whole-house humidifiers have the ability to add humidity to an entire house. Getting the best machine will help deliver optimal humidity into your home atmosphere.
What you may not know is that whole-house humidifiers come in two varieties, in-duct and console. The in-duct type is mounted in a permanent position. Console whole-house models are portable with caster wheels for mobility.
While the in-duct humidifier uses water from your home’s water supply, the console models need to be filled manually.
The size of your home should be considered when choosing a humidifier. This is very important. Running a machine with a high coverage capacity may not be good for a small space, as too much humidity promotes the growth of molds and airborne viruses. On the other hand, buying a machine with low humidity capacity won’t deliver the right amount of humidity needed in larger rooms. Let’s look at some of the best whole house humidifiers to help you pick the right one for your home.
The Whole House Humidifier Comparison Guide
|Brand||Moisture Type||Outstanding Extras|
|SPT SU-4010 Ultrasonic Dual-Mist Warm/Cool Humidifier||Warm and Cool mist.|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. ION exchange filter.|
2. Ultrasonic generator.
3. 400cc/hour humidity output.
4. Designed for rooms up to 500 square feet.
5. Split nozzles: 360 adjustable direction
6. Overheat protection.
7. 4.0L water tank capacity.
8. Quiet operation.
9. Energy efficient.
10. 1-year limited warranty
|Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier||Cool moisture air only|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. work up to 24 hours daily per filling|
2. Automatic shut off.
3. Adjustable humidity control
4. Adjustable multiple output settings
5. Multi room usage
6. Dual tank with top opening for water filling.
|Rowenta HU5120 Intense Aqua Control Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier with Unique Baby Mode||Both cool and warm mist|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. Three mode humidity settings (auto, baby mode and night mode)|
2. Electronic hygrometer that adjust humidity.
3. 2-year warranty.
|Vicks UV 99.999% Germ Free Humidifier||Cool mist only|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. Sterilization of water to kills bacteria, mold and spores up to 99.9%|
2. Patented Ultraviolet Chamber
3. 2 hours run time when water tank is properly filled.
4. Adjustable Humidity Control w/ Multiple Output Settings
|Aprilaire 600 Humidifier, Whole House, Bypass, 24V w/ Digital Control||Cool mist air|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. Built-In Bypass Damper|
2. Automatic Digital Humidifier Control
3. Light indicators that for filter replacement.
4. Relative Humidity Indicators Test/Reset Button
|Holmes Smart Wifi-Enabled WeMo Whole Home Humidifier, HCM3888C||Cool mist air|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. humidifier with 100% air filtered|
2. 2,500 evaporation area
3. 60 hours run time
4. Automatic digital controls humidistat
5. Water indicator when water is low
6. Filter reminder as when to change the filter
7. 3 Year Warranty
|Air-O-Swiss AOS 7147 Ultrasonic Humidifier - Warm & Cool Mist||Micro-fine cool mist|
BUY NOW ON AMAZON
|1. Humidifies rooms of about 600 square feet|
2. Surface touch operation and control
3. pre-set for 1-8 hours (continuous operation)
The Reviews of Our Best Selected Whole House Humidifier
Here, we present our choices for the best whole-house humidifiers. They all have their own pros and cons, so read through the list carefully to find one that meets your needs.
1. SPT SU-4010 Ultrasonic Dual-Mist Warm/Cool Humidifier
This ultrasonic machine is designed to deliver both warm and cool moisture to save you the cost of purchasing a separate unit. It has a 4-liter tank and functions in homes up to 500 square feet. The quiet mode is ideal for operation during overnight hours. If you want to reduce monthly energy bills, this product can help you save on electrical costs. Overheat protection helps bring peace of mind. Cleaning the ultrasonic mist humidifier is easy and stress-free.
- Warm and cool mist.
- ION exchange filter.
- Overheat protection.
- 4-liter water tank capacity.
- Quiet operation.
- Energy efficient.
- Ideal for areas up to 500 square feet.
- 360-degree split nozzle releases moisture in all directions.
- One year limited warranty.
- Delivers both warm and cool mist.
- Split nozzle ensures 360-degree moisture coverage.
- Easy to refill.
- Cleaning brush included.
- Some users complain of water leaks.
- Switching between cool and warm mist takes time.
For those looking for a machine that can deliver both cool and warm mist, the SPT SU-4010 Ultrasonic Dual-Mist is a good option. It works effectively and is reliable.
2. Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier
If you’re on a tight budget and want to enjoy the benefits of a cool mist humidifier in your home, the Honeywell Cool Moisture Humidifier is a great option. It is affordable and offers many great features. Although it is inexpensive, it offers a range of benefits. It comes with features you’d expect to see in an expensive humidifier. This product is a console unit that comes with rolling wheels. This means you can move it from one location to another, making it ideal for use in different rooms. It is a top-filling machine that is easy to use and maintain.
- Runs up to 24 hours per filling.
- Automatic shut-off.
- Humidity level can be adjusted.
- Multi-room use system.
- Dual, top-filling tank.
- Low energy consumption.
- Silent running mode.
- Large tank opening offers easy cleaning.
- This machine only provides cool mist. If you’re in need of a warm mist, consider the SPTU above.
Purchasing a humidifier that is easy to clean and maintain can help you save time on maintenance costs.
3. Rowenta HU5120 Intense Aqua Control Ultrasonic 360 Humidifier with Unique Baby Mode
The Rowenta HU5120 is another ultrasonic cool and warm mist humidifier. It is inexpensive and effective. Parents with young children will enjoy its dual mist settings. It can help save you money. The warm mist mode accelerates the humidity level by up to 20 percent and helps ensure bacteria-free steam. It comes with three humidity settings. You can switch between the auto mode, baby mode, and night mode. The 360-degree nozzle provides comfortable humidity in all directions. It runs up to seven hours on its two-gallon tank. This product has a hygrometer that automatically detects the humidity level and adjusts itself accordingly to meet your needs.
- Cool and warm mist settings.
- Three mode humidity settings.
- Electronic hygrometer automatically adjusts indoor humidity.
- Two-year manufacturer warranty.
- Runs quietly.
- No condensation or dripping.
- Antimicrobial warm mist mode.
- Optional LCD display light.
- Small tank.
- No antimicrobial properties in the cool mist mode.
4. Vicks UV 99.999% Germ Free Humidifier
This offering from Vicks is an ultraviolet, 99.999 percent germ-free humidifier with an attractive design. The sparkling unit comes with twin water containers, meaning you can refill it without shutting down the humidifier.
It can run for two hours on each refill. The patented ultraviolet chamber boiling action ensures that the water is sterilized to kill almost all bacteria and germs.
- Two-hour run time.
- Patented Ultraviolet Chamber.
- Sterilization kills bacteria, mold, and spores up to 99.9 percent.
- Adjustable humidity control with multiple output settings.
- Refill the tank without shutting off the unit.
- Ultraviolet light kills germs.
- Covers up to 400 square feet.
- Cleaning is easy.
- The LED is a bit bright.
5. Aprilaire 600 Humidifier, Whole House, Bypass, 24V w/ Digital Control
This is one of the best in-duct whole-house humidifiers you will find on the market. The digital system is designed for use in homes up to 4,000 square feet. It runs quietly. The bypass unit has a water panel light indicator that tells you when the filter is dirty or due for replacement. However, if you decide to buy this humidifier, know that the water panel will need to be replaced once every year, depending on how you use the humidifier. This product comes with a five-year Aprilaire warranty. In order to enjoy the warranty on this item, the unit must be installed professionally by a licensed HVAC professional.
- Built-in bypass damper.
- Automatic digital humidifier control.
- Filter replacement light indicator.
- Relative humidity indicator button.
- Automatic outdoor temperature sensor automatically regulates humidity level to meet indoor level comfort.
- No stagnant water where mold can grow.
- Low maintenance cost as there no fans or extraneous parts.
- Needs to be installed by a licensed HVAC professional to enjoy the five-year warranty.
- Water panel must be replaced once every year.
6. Holmes Smart Wifi-Enabled WeMo Whole Home Humidifier, HCM3888C
This humidifier is a great choice if you are looking for a product with smart technology.
This humidifier can help you achieve optimal humidity in your home. It may help you breathe better, and relieve dry skin, dry hair, and congestion. The unit comes with an automatic digital control humidistat that runs up to 60 hours. It features five comfort level settings and distributes 6.75 gallons of water daily. It comes with a three-year warranty.
- Effective in areas up to 2,500 square feet.
- 60-hour run time.
- Automatic digital control humidistat.
- Low water indicator.
- Replace filter indicator.
- Three-year warranty.
- Sturdy contrsuction.
- Runs quietly on low settings.
- Low water level alert.
- Filter changing notification.
- Limited humidity level settings.
- No automatic fan settings based on humidity.
This product is a great choice for those who don’t want to fiddle with adjustments. The automatic controls and three-year warranty help bring peace of mind.
7. Air-O-Swiss AOS 7147 Ultrasonic Humidifier – Warm and Cool Mist
This unit utilizes high-frequency force to bring tiny, fine mist into your home atmosphere. This Air-O-Swiss Humidifier offers both pre-heated and cool mist settings. The AOS features Intelligent Temperature Compensation (ITC) technology that helps regulate the temperature level and auto adjusts its output when the conditions vary. The unit is also equipped with a de-mineralized, replaceable cartridge that prevents mineral residue. It also features a Hydro Cell that ensures that the humidifier stays clean longer.
- Humidifies rooms up to 600 square feet.
- Surface touch operation and control.
AIR-O-SWISS ITC technology automatically regulates the output to create the most comfortable relative humidity for your home.
What to Consider When Choosing a Whole-House Humidifier
All of the humidifiers we’ve discussed above are efficient and reliable. The best one for you depends on your needs.
Remember that there are cool and warm mist humidifiers. Be sure to know the mist type you want. There are also different features to consider. For example, an automatic humidistat helps determine the home humidity level and adjusts itself accordingly.
Other important features include the price and coverage area.
Remember that adding humidity to your home may help you avoid health complications that can arise from low humidity. For those who have trouble sleeping at night, a humidifier may help you improve your sleep. It may also help relieve snoring.