This post will educate you on dehumidifier benefits, why you should have a dehumidifier in your home, signs that you should have a dehumidifier in your home, how to choose a dehumidifier, and what triggers allergies. If you have allergy problems, this may be the solution you’ve been waiting for.
You know it can be miserable at times if you are among those who suffer from allergies. People living in humid climate are more exposed to problems that can result from cold weather. Dust mites, mildew, mold and seasonal allergies are the triggers of such symptoms. If you notice that you’re suffering, a dehumidifier can help to reduce all the problems you might be experiencing.
It is good to have some humidity in our homes during winter months or whenever we’ve used our air-conditioning unit, but having excess humidity in the home may also lead to allergy symptoms. With a dehumidifier, you can extract the excess moisture in your home.
Knowing the benefits of a dehumidifier will show you the various ways it can help you.
Allergy Triggers Thrive in Humidity
Most common triggers of allergies–such as dust mites, mildew, and mold–survive in moist environments. Maybe you are living in a moist climate or just staying in a living room that seems to be humid most times. Tight living places with little ventilation such as kitchens or bathrooms in small basements or apartments are common places to experience a buildup of moisture. Some of the most common reactions to allergy triggers include:
- Itchy, watery eyes.
- Stuffy nose.
- Sneezing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing.
- Skin rashes and other irritation.
Allergies caused by mold are a substantial contributor to early childhood asthma, which can be an impairing and costly illness for children who develop it at a tender age.
Dehumidifier benefits You Should Know
There are several benefits to having a dehumidifier in your home, apartment, basement, or office space:
- It helps to decrease the level of humidity, making the area less favorable for allergens to thrive such as mold, dust mites and mildew.
- They don’t cause any inconvenience to your daily routine and work quietly and efficiently.
- Using a dehumidifier at home can help to reduce odors that come from mold and mildew. It is very healthy to get rid of that rotting or musty smell.
- These machines help to reduce the rate at which you will develop mold on your furniture, clothing and other items like bed sheets or curtains.
- Dehumidification of the home helps to lessen skin irritation and respiratory system problems, letting you breathe easier and feel comfortable in your home.
- Environments with less humidity mean clothes will dry faster, cereals and bread will remain fresh for longer. Additionally, it will prevent signs of corrosion and rust on your gadgets and tools.
- When you run a dehumidifier, it helps to lessen the dust rate in your house, saving you cleaning time.
Using a dehumidifier lowers the cost of energy because it helps air-conditioning units function more efficiently. When your home air is more humid, the air conditioner most do the work of cooling the air and getting rid of moisture, making it run harder. This also strains your air conditioner, and you may have to replace it sooner.
Signs You Need a Dehumidifier
Apart from those suffering from symptoms of allergies, you may want to buy a dehumidifier if you notice some signs of high moisture presence in some areas, such as:
- Stains of water on your home walls or ceiling.
- Rooms with high humidity, especially those with no or poor ventilation–particularly in window-less bathrooms.
- Constant condensation on your windows in specific areas in your home.
- Small mold spores (black spots) growing on your walls or in certain areas with high levels of humidity such as your shower or bathtub.
- If you live in an apartment, mildew and mold can grow between units.
Even if you keep your living space tidy, allergens from other sections of the building can be harmful to both you and your family’s health.
Choosing a Dehumidifier
When it comes to shopping for a dehumidifier, there are several options to consider. You should choose one based on your specific needs. There are portable, powerful models designed for single-room use. Alternatively, large-capacity options are for large rooms, apartments, or basements. Whole-house models exist for those who live in very humid regions or suffer from substantial allergies. Some dehumidifiers even come with special features.
Having a dehumidifier can help you live a healthier and happier life, so if you’re experiencing allergies and other related symptoms, what you need is a dehumidifier. Check closely, as different versions and features are available. There’s one to fit every need and budget!